Sr Application Designer - Team LeadApply Now Apply Later Job ID R-001810 Date posted 10/17/2017
We are looking for a Senior Application Designer that would also fill the shoes as a team lead supporting our internal claims systems here in our Madison, Wisconsin, location. We had an internal staff member move to another area of our Information Technology department.
.NET (primarily VB)
MS SQL Server
*preferred, not required
Half the software development team is made up of CUNA Mutual employees while the other is contracted resources that bring the total to 15. The team is all about collaboration. You will not only work with the business but also persuade them with innovative ideas on how to get technology to help their customers as it relates to the claims system.
We have recently moved to an agile way of working, so this person will be part of one of our Scrum teams. One of our key focuses in the next couple of years is on bringing our legacy systems to an appropriate maturity level for Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery, so a candidate with experience and an ability to lead the team in this area would be ideal, though not a hard requirement.
This person will be involved in enabling the business to use more technology to design and implement complex feature enhancements specific to the messaging of customers via our platform. There is also an emphasis on providing external customers with the ability to manage the product we provide to them. Knowledge of complex business systems is a big need for this person. You should have 8+ years experience in business systems development. Individuals at this level are not heavy into code and spend most of their time doing design and software architecture work, mentoring team members, conducting code reviews, working with internal client business units to name the major duties.
While the Senior Application Designer/Team Lead is centered around standard business hours Monday through Friday, there is some flexibility with schedule.
We are interested to know about your current/past team dynamics - size, roles, etc., as well as your experience leading software development projects.
- 30% Independently perform expert-level analysis and design in translating business requirements into technical specifications, present options, evaluate and recommend solutions. Drive out unperceived business needs, leverage existing solutions (across CUNA Mutual, publicly available, vendor packages, etc.) where appropriate. Identify and communicate the global impact of interrelated activities. Develop application code according to the acceptance criteria. Proactively strive for continuous improvement and continuous integration and delivery with IT and business.
- 30% Guide the development of multiple concurrent business systems solutions from conceptualization through stabilization using various computer platforms. Provide leadership, architectural guidance and training/mentoring to professional staff in planning/roadmapping, estimating, and quality assurance on initiatives of any size. Provide constructive feedback to individual team members and their respective manager regarding performance on work and support work.
- 10% Develop, test, implement, document and maintain high quality business systems solutions on various computer platforms, adhering to established methodology and practices, and in accordance with acceptance criteria.
- 10% Develop and maintain a high degree of client-specific knowledge and associated business systems knowledge commensurate with work experience. Educate others, collaborate and effectively communicate verbally and in writing with management, development team members, IT Infrastructure and clients to influence solution delivery, applications architecture and business direction.
- 10% Continually enhance and share knowledge in application development best practices, technologies, methodologies, and standards. Acquire, effectively apply and train others in new technical skills as driven by business need and/or technology advancements. Develop and maintain an expert-level understanding of industry trends and proactively work as appropriate with decision-makers to drive change within and across IT organizational units.
- 10% Promptly and professionally assume ownership and respond to customer requests. Perform and guide others in root cause analysis, impact analysis, problem determination and problem resolution support. Collaborate with appropriate business and IT staff throughout the problem resolution process.
- The above statement of duties is not intended to be all inclusive and other duties will be assigned from time to time.
- BS in MIS or CS or equiv trade-off in related education and related professional work experience
- 6 1/2 years work experience in IT with the most recent 36 months work experience as a Business System Consultant or equivalent trade-off in related professional work experience within the last 3 years with demonstrated achievement and progressive responsibilities
- High level of proficiency demonstrated in a business environment with the last 3 years in at least 4 of the following:
- Application development life cycle
- Modern business solution design and development practices
- Current Microsoft development environment
- Web Application Development and Cloud Technologies
- Business application support of internally developed and vended solutions within the CMFG architecture
- Service and API development, SOA
- Demonstrated expert knowledge of application development concepts in a multi-platform computing environment, including application development life cycle, n-tier development, object oriented design, etc
- Demonstrated breadth of knowledge of information technology concepts and deep expertise in application development in more than one business system area.
- Demonstrated expertise in business application, information and/or technical architecture design.
- Demonstrated good judgment and reliability
- Demonstrated expertise in architecture design with the ability to teach others.
- Drives and/or influences departmental or overall technology practices.
- Proven ability to clearly and effectively communicate business and technical information, both verbally and in writing.
- Proven ability to provide a high level of customer service.
CUNA Mutual Group’s insurance, retirement and investment products provide financial security and protection to credit unions and their members worldwide. As a dynamic and growing company, we strive to create a culture of performance, high standards and defined values. In return for your skills and contributions, we offer highly competitive compensation and benefit packages, significant professional growth, and the opportunity to win and be rewarded.
Please provide your Work Experience and Education or attach a copy of your resume. Applications received without this information may be removed from consideration.